Irwin Guides Avalanche Courses – AIARE Level 2 – Feb 23-25
February 23 - February 25
Our classroom will be at the Monarch Mountain Lodge. Discounted lodging available at Monarch Mountain Lodge (Monarch Pass) and The Amigo Motor Lodge (Salida). Receive 10% off backcountry rental gear for Irwin courses at Salida Mountain Sports!
New to the 2017/2018 season the AIARE Level 2 Rec course has been designed specifically to meet the needs of advanced students who have taken an AIARE level 1 Rec and AIARE Avalanche Rescue Course.
Students can expect to learn about the following topics:
- Differentiate where specific avalanche hazards exist within the landscape and identify avalanche terrain where consequences may be more sever.
- Use and interpret weather, snow and avalanche observations to locate appropriate terrain prior to entering and while in the field.
- Demonstrate leadership skills within a small team that include facilitating small group discussion, promoting appropriate terrain selection, and utilizing simple risk management strategies.
- Implement a basic forecasting framework that can be used in conjunction with and in the absences of local supporting avalanche information.
- Inclusions: AIARE Level 2 Course Manual, AIARE Field Book, AIARE Level 2 Rec certificate upon successful completion of course.
- Exclusions: Lodging, food, avalanche safety gear, backcountry touring gear.*
- A detailed equipment list will be provided upon course registration.
- Required Reading: The Avalanche Handbook, by McClung and Schaerer**
- Suggested Reading: Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain,by Tremper
**“The Avalanche Handbook is the official text book for the AIARE Level 2 course. Click here to buy”